Monday, December 22, 2008

10cm, Didn't Want to Wait for the Doc

I delivered a baby this morning. The Doc showed up about 5 minutes later. For those of you who don't know: I am an L&D nurse, among other things. I work part time at a small hospital. My patient was having her 2nd baby. She came in at about 3-4cm around 2am.... really wanting an epidural. Well, by the time I admitted her, got her IV started, called the CRNA for the epidural, it was about 3:15am and she was 5cm. She then screams, "I need to push!" She's complete (10cm) of course... There was one other Fantastic nurse & our Awesome OB tech on. We called the Doc, who's about 10 minutes away, and RT (respiratory therapy). I donned the sterile gloves and assumed catching position. Sure enough, a beautiful baby girl born @ 3:25am. Our CRNA arrived just when I was cutting the cord and said, "I guess you don't want an epidural... (she looks around the room and sees Me, RN #2, & OB tech)... Hey do you need me to call someone about that? (pointing at the baby).. " Doc arrived about 5 minutes later. RT arrived a few minutes after the Doc. Hmmmm. We were lucky. Baby was 2 weeks overdue, weighed 8-11, and had thick meconium. She came out screaming. It was a good outcome. :) That's what I call a precipitous delivery if ever there was one. That makes baby #3 for me, I think...

4 comments:

Reflections of Heart said...

Caroline,
This labor sounds Exactly like the labor I had with my second child, Alec. Almost word for word, except the fact that I felt it was time to deliver and push as I was being wheeled down the hall out of triage and ended up being delivered in one of the emergency rooms in the L & D triage area. Thank Heavens for Nurses like you who save the day and deliver our precious ones! Congratulations to you for being part of the miracles!

Jen

Paulina said...

I also had one of those deliveries one night when I worked at Auburn Faith. I got splashed with meconium and had to change. (I kept the scrubs as a souvenir!) Thank goodness for the others working with me that night, the outcome was also good for us.

Lighthouse said...

Yeah, I got splashed pretty good with mec with this delivery. I had my black grim reaper scrubs on so it didn't show. :)

Steve and Kim said...

Wow! I'm sure hoping for a less exciting delivery. However, if it were to turn out that way, I'd want a nurse like you there!